Tuesday, December 21, 2010

table and chairs

In October I painted our table and chair set.  The table we had bought at the thrift store and it has needed to be refinished for many years.  The kids are now at a point where it doesn't get destroyed every time they craft on it.  The chairs were from my husbands parents when we got married.  They had them for many years and both my MIL and I had slip covered the seats a couple of times.  My husband and I cleaned them with TSP and sanded the table down until it was smooth.  The table top has about 5 coats of paint and the chairs and table base 3 coats.  I tried to spray paint the chairs but after three cans of spray paint on two chairs I decided that brushing them would be easier and less work.  I used Benjamin Moore satin finish oil paint in Cloud White.  This is my favorite color for all my trim and misc cabinets.  I love it! Here is a picture of a chair before:
  This chair was one of the better chairs.  A couple of years ago I had recovered two chairs in this brown vinyl.  It cleaned up easy!  I bought different fabric in the spring (or maybe last winter) and had the foam in my daughters closet all summer while our house was on the market.  Here is a couple of pictures of the completed chairs and the set:
Since the dishes were white and the table was white we needed to add a little of something.  The kids and I headed to Homesense and bought placemats.  The have only actually been used a couple of times as they keep getting dirty and I forget to wash them when I do the laundry.  They did look pretty the first day.

The white really brightens up the kitchen, especially on these dark winter afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment