Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mug Rugs and Spice Doodles

I often have quilt patterns or designs in my head that I would like to try but I don't have the time to make many full quilts.  I liked the idea of mug rugs (small quilts for your cup of coffee and a couple of cookies) but didn't know who to make them for.  Well...my in laws have cake and coffee every evening and so I thought these might work for them.  Below are the two I made.  I have no idea who makes the fabrics so please don't ask. :)

For Papa:
I made some log cabin blocks with green and yellow and then after seeing how big Mama's was I added some stripes along the side and bottom.
For Mama:
Her favorite colors are blue and red.  I had wanted to try a zig zag for a while and this was a great opportunity.  I like how it turned out.  The back is a cute print with birds on it (one of my favorites).

Now for the best part of these pictures: the COOKIES!
They are called Spice Doodles and I found the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens The Ultimate Cookie Book.  This book has lots of fun easy recipes that I usually make at Christmas.  It was different this year because my son was diagnosed with celiac this last year but I still made some of the favorites for my husband and I.

Spice Doodles

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Lightly grease cookie sheets and set aside.  In a large bowl beat butter and shortening.  Add in sugar, baking powder and salt.  Beat until combined.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Beat in as much flour as possible and then stir in rest.  If necessary cover and chill one hour or until easier to handle.

Preheat oven to 375 F.  In small bowl combine remaining sugar and pumpkin pie spice.  Shape dough into 1" balls and roll in sugar and spice mixture.  Place on cookie sheet 2" apart and bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden.  Let stand one minute and transfer to wire rack.

Yield: about 40 cookies (I usually double it because they don't last long in our house) 

No comments:

Post a Comment